Monday, April 21, 2008

Sunny monday...

You guys would think that sun shines all the time down here... Well, we had a rain flood last week !

But today it is really hot... I am back to work... Same thing, fixing and supporting Windows PC's... Downgrading Vista laptops to xp...

My own desktop has been rebuilt last month, when I purchased a cheap combo (motherboard+cpu+ram)... A non-name board, with an AMD Sempron 3000+ and 512 megs of ddr ram.

Now I am paying the price for this cheap stuff... The board won't handle any other ram. The shop swapped the board for me... Same thing. I put in a gig of ram, next to the 512 stick, it works fine for couple of days, and then things freeze. I run Memtest, and it's all red with errors...

What I did was cannibalizing various parts to make a "replacement" box, without having to touch the internet-café's PC's... I installed Debian Stable, and here I am, in my Fluxbox and IceWeasel.

Yes, I send my problematic motherboard back to the shop. I told the owner that I was ok to pay a bit more, and buy another type of board...

What the heck, I have so many old PC's here... I'll survive :)

This morning, sipping coffee and reading Planète Béranger. How nice from my Romanian friend to mention this humble "Tropical Blog" ;)

Gotta start somewhere... Gotta get my thoughts clear...

No comments: