Friday, May 2, 2008

A quick look to Xubuntu Hardy...

Ok, no fuss, as I only ran the live-cd.

-What was my motivation ?
-Well, I still have that (very old) Toshiba laptop with Xubuntu Dpper. Kept it all the way, instead of my all-time favorite Debian Stable, simply because the PCMCIA wifi card (RTL8180) works out of the box in Dapper, but was "kicked out" of the kernel for some technical reason...

So I still carress the idea of being able to install anything else... No stress, as I still have a bit more than a year of support for Dapper, but Gaim 1.5 and FF 1.5 make me feel like living in the 1960's ;o)

Anyway, back to this Hardy live-cd. Nice boot-splash, beautiful wallpaper (I have to find it for my own use on Gnome). I am ok with the choice of app... Mainly because I am a "Gnome guy", so I am not disturbed by all the "Gnomification" of the Xfce desktop...

That makes me wonder if Xubuntu is really any lighter than Ubuntu... Feel free to post your feedback on that one...

Now, the real question is this one: Can a Xfce desktop be as functional as "good ol' " Gnome ?

I guess it depends on the level of tweaks... I have more homework to do about that...

It's raining today in LT... I have a long long week-end ahead, with departures & arrivals... I'll be kept well busy. Don't be surprised if I don't post for a couple of days...

No comments: