Thursday, May 22, 2008

bored... (but lots of swimming !!!)... Making my distros to go faster...

Ok, day off today, Corpus Cristi... Sunny days, went to the beach, and swam my @$$ off :)

Been arguing about Arch in the Ubuntu forum... (it's here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=773260&page=3 ), and finally admited that it did boot faster indeed... So that made me want to improve my 'Buntu !

I read that guide: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Optimize-Ubuntu-Feisty-Fawn-for-Speed-53836.shtml

...and it worked... I gain (...only...) 8 seconds at boot time, but overall my Gnome desktop seems faster...

-Is it only a feeling ???

What else... I wiped Slackware for Sidux, but I still am not happy... I guess I am simply allergic to KDE... Or is it the overly complicated version of the apt-get system that disoriented me ?

I might stick some Slack derivative or maybe Mandriva... Don't know... But I'll stick to 32bit...

I know now: I would use a 64bit distro if I needed no 32bit apps... And I still need just one: Skype !

I just dislike mixing 64 & 32...

Bottom line, this Debianista here is still happy with his 'Buntu, despite all of what's online about it... I downloaded a snapshot of Debian Testing netinst i386, but I feel lazy...

I gotta swim more... much more !

No comments: